When you open VideoScribe it connects to our servers to verify your account. In most cases this issue occurs when VideoScribe is unable to do this.
When logging in VideoScribe an error message is displayed stating ‘To use offline mode, you must first log in online with ‘Remember Me’ selected’. This can still occur even if the computer is connected to the internet.
This error message means that the software is not able to connect with the Sparkol server (required to check your login details). This is caused by either a poor internet connection or a setting on your computer not allowing VideoScribe to connect and check your account.
Step 1. Check your internet connection
- Is your computer connected to the internet?
- Are you in offline mode?
- Reboot your computer and restart the software
- Make sure that your router (if using) is working and connected to the internet. You can reset this by turning off and on again.
- If you are connected via WiFi, try a cable connection and vice-versa
- Try connecting via a different network or hot spot
Step 2. Check your TLS settings - Windows users
Please Note: This step is the most common solution for customers using a Windows operating system
If you’re on a Windows computer, check your internet settings to ensure that TLS (Transport Layer Security) is enabled:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click ‘Tools’ cog symbol and then ‘Internet Options’
- Click the ‘Advanced’ tab
- Scroll down and ensure that all of the ‘Use TLS x.x’ options are enabled and click OK
- Once you've done this, please close and reload both your internet browser and VideoScribe.
Step 3. Check your operating system is up to date
Ensure that your Windows system is fully up to date (check here).
Check your Mac OS system is up to date (check here).
Step 4. Check your permissions
- Do you have admin rights to install new software on your computer?
- If someone else is responsible for the computer network – at school or at home for example – you may need to check with them that you can install new software.
- You may have permissions to install the software without being an admin, but you may not have connection privileges so you will need to check this.
- Important information for your network administrator
Step 5. Check your security settings
A firewall or antivirus software may be blocking VideoScribe, if possible, add VideoScribe to the exceptions list.
Windows 7 - via Control Panel
- Open the control panel, click ‘Review your computer settings’ and then click on the Security dropdown to view the active security apps in the Network Firewall and Virus protection fields. This will display ‘View in Windows Security’ if you have the security app installed, this was previously known as Windows Defender and has become part of the application.
- To check your list of allowed apps through the Windows Defender Firewall.
- From the System and Security tab > Windows Defender Firewall > Allow an App or feature through the Windows Defender Firewall and you scroll through the list.
- If VideoScribe has not been added as an exception to the list, click on the Allow another app button > Browse > Locate your Sparkol VideoScribe folder, by default you will find this in C: > Program Files > Sparkol > Sparkol VideoScribe and you can then select the VideoScribe application. Click the ‘add’ button and VideoScribe will now be on your list of ‘Allowed apps’.
Windows 8/10 - via Windows Security App
- You can check the apps that are providing your Firewall and Antivirus protection in the Windows Security App.
- You can access this by searching for Windows Security in the search bar.
- Inside the app, click on ‘Firewall & network protection’, then ‘Manage provider’ under the Who’s protecting me? title to view your current security providers.
- Most computers will come with antivirus software preinstalled with a free trial. It is important to uninstall anti-virus software that you are no longer using as this can still control what applications have access to the internet.
- As each users setup will be different, we suggest contacting the help site of your security provider (e.g. Norton, AVG) as they will be able to advise you on how to add the Sparkol to the Whitelist (list of domain names from which a security program will allow communication).
Mac - User and Security settings
- Ensure that your user has Admin rights. It will read 'Admin' below your username. Tick the box that states 'Allow user to administer this computer'.
- Check if your Firewall is on. To check your firewall settings, open System Preferences. Under the Security & Privacy section, select the Firewall Tab.
- If your Firewall is turned on, click on the Firewall Options button and you can add a program to the list to configure how the firewall handles its requests. Add your VideoScribe application.
- If you've taken these steps and are still experiencing issues, please contact our support team directly.